BJT Legal - Ballarat lawyers + legal services

Andrew Turner info

Andrew Turner

Senior Associate Family Law

Negotiated Agreement or Court Orders?

The simple answer is that you can have both - Consent Orders - which are Court orders by way of agreement. Consent Orders give you the security of a formal Court order without the stress of arguing in Court. Once the parties have negotiated an agreement in relation to their parenting arrangements or their property split or both, the agreement can be put it into the form of Consent Orders and filed with the Court for their approval. If the Court is satisfied that the agreement is appropriate, it will make the orders.

In some circumstances, you may be unable to negotiate an agreement. If this is the case, you can consider applying to the Court.

If you require advice in relation to formalising your parenting or property arrangements or taking Court action, please contact BJT Legal on (03) 5333 8840 or